Sunday, February 20, 2011

Water, Water, Water

So I used to be on the train of "I hate drinking water." Then something happend where I changed my mind. I drink water 98% during the day, and sadly the other 2 % is my morning coffee. I can't say I noticed some life changing event when I started guzzling water like nobody's business. But I did notice how "healthy" I felt knowing that I was making a great choice of drinking, almost mainly, water!
Now, after saying all the water I drink, I do like to keep it snazzy by adding lemon juice. I don't always care for the plain tasted of water so I feel that is a natural way to give it flavor. In California, the hotel we stayed at had cucumbers and strawberries in two sepereate pitchers. The water had a very light taste of it even though it had been soaking all day. It was soooo refreshing!!! The packets of flavor from Crystal Light aren't for me. I also heard somewhere that when you add those kinds of packets to water, your kidney had to filter that as opposed to just plain water. Thus, not "counting" as your daily water intake. Not sure if thats true or not, but I def took to action after hearing that! Here are some benefits of drinking a good amount of water daily:
Health benefits of drinking water include maintenance of pH balance, body temperature, metabolism, breathing, prevention of constipation, heartburn, migraine, gastritis and ulcers, kidney stones, cardiovascular disorders, rheumatoid arthritis, backache and osteoporosis.
Water plays important roles in the functioning of circulatory, respiratory, excretory and nervous systems, along with metabolic reactions, maintenance of skin components and prevention of a number of disorders.

Now I do know that some medical studies claim that water intake isn't necessarily a health benefit.  I think there are contradicting articles regardless the topic. However, it does make sense, that dehyrdration can cause so many issues, so why not drink water to help aide with the onset? Plus, we are made up mainly by water, so it can't hurt to up the intake if you don' t drink it.
I also think that having fun water bottles def help with lugging it around. I think if they are big, then when you down one full container, you are probably almost done with the intake. Its an easier way to set goals of drinking all day. Here are some of my favorites that I am usually lugging around.
Find a water bottle that is big and fun that will help with a new goal of drinking more water.
If you are a coke/diet coke drinker, know the effects of high fructose corn syrup as well as aspartame, which is found in diet sodas. I know that the diet has a lack of sugar but read up on aspartame and its effects. You will be shocked on all the negative things it can do to your body. High Fructose corn syrup is that "filler" that is found in tons of foods. But not a good thing to intake. Its fake, our bodies aren't made to take in "fillers." I am not judging anyone who are soda drinkers, just consider stepping out of the soda bubble. :)As an athlete all my life, coaches helped rear my mind away from soda. I did go through a phase in college of drinking it but thankfully grew out of it. Every now and then, like once in a blue moon, I will have a sprite. If I vear from water, its usually to its sister-- tea! :) I grew up drinking tea, making tea, watching my family drink tea. So, naturally its kind of in my blood. If I want to "spice"things up, I will do the tea ( unsweet and then add my own portion of sugar)

If you are contemplating a new water regimen, take it in strides. Go buy a new water bottle or cup. Start with reminders to sip often. See how much better you will feel drinking a clear, natural liquid from the Earth!
Happy Work outs!

No comments: